Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Transfer of Power

Yesterday, a great man passed. You didn't see it on TV. You didn't hear it on the radio. It was in the local obits, but how could a reporter really know greatness.

The picture above is Elias Khoury - not the one that passed. The Elais above is obviously not 81. This is Mr. Khoury's namesake. I'm there too, but this isn't about me. Elias is Amy's boyfriend. Amy is Nancy's daughter. A few weeks ago, Nancy and I helped Amy and Elias move. While we where putting things in their new house, the senior Elias dropped by. Elais' father -the Elais above- Alex came by, and the elder Elias was with him. I was immediately impressed with the reverence the son and grandson had for the senior Elias Khoury. It was evident this was a man who'd earned the respect of his family. I think I recognized it because I experienced that with my grandfather. I met Mr. Khoury no more than fifteen minutes, but that's all it took for him to gain my respect and admiration. I sorry I won't get to see him again, but I'm glad I did get to meet him. Mostly I was glad to see that another family had someone to look up to. If you were able to keep up with all those names, you also have my respect.

Elias is one of my bosses at Sports Authority. I think I can see the affect the elder Elais had on his namesake. The younger Elais, the one in the picture, is a very kind person. Earlier, he passed the Real Estate test, and it now a realitor with Weichert Realtors. I've watched him work, even when we were on our way to Disney, one day. He's a very genuine person. What you see is what you get. I'm willing to be he got that from his father and grandfather. He has a work ethic that most people his age simple never learned. I bet he got that from his father and grandfathers example. I bet Amy recognized that in him too. I also bet Amy recognized the character ethic Elias learned from his father and grandfather.

It makes me feel much better about the future, knowing the effect the elder Elias Khoury had on his family. America need more Elmer Thompsons and Elias Khourys in the world. Oh, wait; there are more Elias Khourys in the world.

Hopefully, there will be more Elmer Thompsons, too. Come on, Mark and Brian, get busy!

No comments: