Sunday, October 09, 2005

Many Hats

Stop by the house most days, and this is what you'd see Nancy doing. Writing. When I'm writing, or studying, or browsing, this is what I see. She works hard, and can focus. My focus last all of 20 minutes at best. Nancy can go for hours. She'll forget to eat, then her blood sugar will drop, and I have to keep her away from sharp objects, or I'll be nither. Yes, I know nither isn't a word; that's the point.

When I write, it's usually five minutes at a time. Here, there, anywhere. My toy really helps with that. I can whip it out and tap a few sentences out. Every once in awhile, I can get in a zone, and go for hours, but that's about a once a month thing, and it takes me a few days to recover. Technology has enabled me to be a writer. I'm not sure I would be writing if I was born 150 years ago. I would have loved that hats though.

This weekend, my sister-in-law Mandy had to go to the hospital. She's about 8 months pregnant (we know what sheee did....hehe). Risky pregnancy. They might do an early cesarian. She's okay; they're just being very careful, for good reasons. My other sister-in-law, Nicole, is pregnant too. It seems I'm going to be an uncle to 2 nieces. Or would that be nices, or just nice. Yeah. It would be nice.

Today, I worked at Sports Authority, and Nancy and the rest of the group went to Mt. Dora for another author fest. This one was more successful, and they sold 5 or 6 books. They were one a street, in front of an independent bookstore -Dickens-Reed. It's a cute place, and very popular, even with Orlando folk. I like Mt. Dora, even if it is the swingers capital of the US. You'd never know, though.

I'm still learning product stuff at Sports Authority. Today, I learned about bats. Not the little animals. I learned about baseball and softball bats. A lot to them. Who'da thunk?

Last week, I achieved 53% of the things I planned to do. It might seem like I didn't do very well, but if you consider I wasn't planning at all for the month before, and achieving those plans, I did way better. I actually got a lot done. In the 7 Habits planning, you figure your life-roles, and make goals according to that. Then tasks to complete those goals. I'm still learning the fine points of this concept, especially the difference between goals and tasks. I need to make my goals more general, and the tasks specific to those goals. I'm not sure I like the Plan Plus software program. I'll give it the full 90 days I promised myself. I'm a creature of habit, so it might just be that I'm not use to it yet. In 90 days, I'll probably be exclaiming its virtues, and how I can't live without it.

Some Links:
Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival
Body For Life
Free Language Courses - but don't click on the page popups
A severly addictive, and simple, penguin batting game. Be careful, it really is addictive.
Unfit - comic about a personal trainer. Scott Adams, the creater of Dilbert likes it.

No comments: