Thursday, January 04, 2007

Division

I got some advice on my blog layout from a few readers, and a good pointer from a reader. I should keep my posting subjects separate. My personal stuff should be in a separate post from my tech stuff, and my political commentary (satire?) should be separate too. The reader was from an online tech magazine, and let me know he'd love to have link to my posting, but their rules on personal content in the link prevented him from doing so. Very good point.

Many bloggers, especially the professional ones, keep several blogs going at once. I have two; on for me, and one for my writing. I know several of my Linux Penguinistas have separate blogs for the technology commentary. My fitness friends have blogs specifically devoted to their fitness pursuits.

My original thought was to publish my blog for my friends and family to keep up with me. I wish my friends and family would do so too, but I understand why they don't. Okay, not really. In my techy Web2.0 head, everyone should have a blog. Especially my family. I take pictures primarily of me, with the scenery in the background, because my blog is about me. Some of Nancy too, but she has her own blog -and it's doing better than mine. Grrrr.

So, I pose this question to my readers:

Should I use separate blog entries or completely separate blogs? Should I create separate blogs from my techy stuff, and keep this one personal?

Please give me your thoughts in the comments option below. Click on Comments. Write Blog Entries or Separate Blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could do a seperate blog for just tech stuff on another one of your sites, for the technophiles, but post a variety of things on this blog....some tech, some wrting, some rants, some personal....after all variety is the spice of life as they say. Just balance it betweem the tech amd entertainment, okay?

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could do a blog completely seperate from this one for your tech stuff. Suppose maybe some of your family members wanted to keep up to date about what is going on with you, but isn't really that interested in the tech stuff, so if you made this one just personal that family member, or friend, might feel more inclined to read and check up more often? Just a thought. I only have one blog, so I have no idea if it would actually help. Just figured I would include my thoughts since you asked :o)

Julie said...

I'd prefer one blog with separate posts for each subject. You can use tags (personal, fitness, tech, etc.) to help people filter the kinds of posts they read.