Thursday, June 08, 2006

Wireless Woes

Almost everything works perfect with Linux. Almost everything. Except wireless networking.

I've been able to make a computer dual boot Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu, but I haven't been able to get a wireless connection. I can't offer a benefit of a free computer without having wireless capabilities. With Linux, a used computer, and a reliable wireless connection, I can offer someone a free computer, free OS, and free internet (usually through a citywide program of some sort). With the right antenna, you can pick up a signal from pretty far, and in cities, pick up many signals to choose from.

But Linux, including Ubuntu, is having issues with wireless connectivity. It is possible to get it working, but with a lot of work -and to a geek type, a lot of work would be way to bothersome for the average user.

The issues of wireless connectivity will hold Linux adoption back. Maybe that's the intention. So far, except for the issues of wireless connectivity, I think Linux is a superior OS to Windows, and a bit easier than Mac. Once the issues are fixed, and I've no doubt there will be a fix very soon, Linux adoption will take off at an exponential rate. Many public and private schools are already seeing the benefits of changing to Linux. So much less hassle with Key Code numbers, and having Windows tell you, "Wrong code". Right now, windows has an edge with wireless connectivity.

Most people won't have an internet connection at home, and a reliable wireless connection is going to be important. Right now, getting wireless to work is a top priority in my free computer project.

Doing this at the same time as taking A+ Hardware has helped, both ways. Everything in my class is familiar. And, so far, everything I've learned in class, I've used in the past few days. Things came together for me, just at the right time.

Believe it or not, that happens to me often. Sometimes, far too often. At the very least, I know I'll get the wireless working, just when I need it. Things will come together right at the right time. (yes,...pumping up my resume here).

I know some people tire of my techy stuff, but that's what's going on in my life right now. Not as exciting as exercise, and especially not as exciting as Skull and Bones. But, that's where it is.

No comments: