Saturday, June 17, 2006

Bossman Ubuntu progress

So far, Ubuntu is still the easiest and best Linux distribution I've tried. I'm might take a few more for a spin, especially as I jump start some of this older equipment. It seems like the new releases of some Linux distributions cause more bugs than fixes. Now, some bugs are easier to fix than others, but I'd prefer supported stability over flash and dash.

Ubuntu still has some bugs. The biggest one for me is the wireless difficulties. I need wireless to work, in order for Bossman to work. Also, a minor bug; the mic doesn't work. Other's using Ubuntu have noticed the same. The Ubuntu communties coders know about, and are working on the issues. It's cool being able to know exactly where things stand. The community developer and user structure works very well with software.

I think we're about to see a slight stall in technology development. Not a drop, but a slowing down. It will be the time there is a shift to Linux, and the time for hardware developers to catch up. And, since Linux can be used on some pretty old equipment, fewer people are going to buy new computers. And, with Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) being as good or better than commercially distributed software, some people are going to be out of a job.

I'm not a rabid Linux cultist here. What I am doing is attempting to predict future trends, especially where technology is concerned. I've done pretty well so far. I'm putting so much effot into Linux lately simply because that's where I think things are headed. If it was in the Mac OS direction, I'd spend my time there. If Windows, I'd focus there. Windows is dominate, at the moment. But, the rest of the world is moving in the Linux direction, and we're slightly behind the curve.

Checkout Distrowatch.com for some good info on the different Linux distributions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!
You're the best step-dad a kid could ever wish for.
Love,
Stephen and Brett