Wednesday, February 07, 2007

I have to get Vista!

Yeah, baby. Gotta have that Vista! Wanna come over to my place, and checkout my,...Vista? Come on...please, I want your Vista! You promised you'd let me take your Vista. What?! You gave HIM your Vista?

Valencia Community College has seen fit to make sure all the IT student can get Vista for business. I guess that's kind of "Vista Professional". Not Vista Ultimate, of course. Through their MSDN agreement, we'll get educated.

My current desktop doesn't have the full requirements. I'll have to increase the memory to 2 Gig, and get a newer, larger, faster graphics card. That's the way Microsoft and the hardware manufacturers are in kahootz. But HEY, I'll have Vista. Crippled by DRM as it may be, I'll still have it.

When I get the necessary hardware, the DVD with Vista, I'm still going to wait until Ubuntu's Feisty Fawn 7.04 comes out. That will be the latest, greatest version of Ubuntu. It won't be the Long Term Support that Dapper has, but it will take advantage of the graphics card. Might as well. Then, I'll have to move all my personal data to an external hard drive. I intend to dual boot both Vista and Ubuntu, kind of like I do now. I'm not sure how well that will work. I usually only do things like that when the system has gone kerplunk, but Ubuntu is working perfectly. Faster than Windows too. Zip! Bang! Whiz! It's like Batman, circa 1969.

Folks, unless your business provides it for free, or you have an application that will run ONLY on Vista, don't bother. At least for now. Vista IS going to have a learning curve. Instead of bothering with the learning curve for Vista, use the time to learn Ubuntu. The time spent learning will be much less that you think. Nancy uses Ubuntu every day. Ask her how difficult it is. Ask her how long it took to learn.

If you're use to Windows, I recommend using Kubuntu, a version that seems to work similar to Windows. But, Ubuntu isn't any more difficult to learn. If you have an older computer, try Xubuntu. I bought this computer in 1998, and it's running Xubuntu just fine. I won't be doing any high end graphics work on it, but I would be able to use a digital camera, surf the web, use the OpenOffice applications -or the other alternative Word Processor and Spreadsheet programs, and even watch a DVD movie (Thanks DVD Jon!). Here's the computer:
The cord you see sticking out of the front is the Belkin 54G Wireless USB adapter:


You don't need to upgrade. You don't need to get rid of that old computer. Unless it has a major hardware problem, it'll work, probably better than original condition.

No comments: