Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Fixed Frequency Scaling, Again

Another Techy Post, but a brief one.

The Ubuntu Document Storage Facility is up again, and I found the missing part of getting my Laptop to 'throttle down': sudo modprobe p4_clockmod. Once I put that in, and went through the rest of the sequence, it worked. I think. I've throttled the CPU down to 699 MHz. I forgot to put the screen display down too, but I think I could eek out a bit more by putting that down each time.

The battery still leaks down pretty fast. It might be that the battery is just too old, or that I didn't get something right in the instructions. But, it is lasting long that it did without the instructions, so I think I got most of it right.

I also loaded on a sensor that tells me the speed and the temperature of the CPU. I like that. Let's me know hot my lap is getting.

Linux is somewhat crippled because some hardware manufactures will not release their driver information to Open Source solution providers. But, luckily, many do. So companies like IBM, Lenovo, and Asus have equipment that isn't too difficult to work with. It seems that Dell may have to comply with Linux solutions pretty soon too.

No comments: