Thursday, April 05, 2007

Strawberry iMac G3 NOT DEAD


The previous reporting of the iMac's death false. It's still alive and kicking. The Strawberry one (pink), I mean. Yes; I know the iMac in the picture isn't pink. It's just a better picture than any one I have.

Something knawed at me about the little thing. Then I added it up
  1. When inserted, a CD would show up on the screen in Xubuntu 6.06.1. The CD drive couldn't be dead.
  2. I was trying to upgrade using the CD method.
  3. I discovered my laptop works fine with ripping CD's (not that I ever actually do that), but not so well when burning them. Was the same with Windows too.
  4. I'd burned the Xubuntu 7.04 beta CD alternate install CD for PowerPC on my laptop.
When I'd figured out that last part, I though, "Wait! It's still alive!" I cranked it up, but the screen wouldn't come on. After some surfing, I found that the X11 xorg configuration wasn't set right. I was able to get the computer to a command line, edit the configuration, and reboot.

Xubuntu 6.10 booted right up. The little machine actually had installed 6.10. Invictus!

If you're a higher end Geek you might ask yourself, "Why does this guy even care if an out-of-date, 333 MHz iMac will still work?" Maybe it's the challenge. Maybe it's the Free Geek ideal. Maybe it's just a cute computer.

Part of it has to do with the design. Like a laptop, when you press on the power button of this machine the whole machine comes on. With other computers, you have to turn on the monitor then the desktop switch. Not a big deal, unless you're completely new to computers.

Another of Mrs. Wayman's struggles with the computer is keeping track of which part is on and off. To her defense, it is difficult to tell, and my vision is good. Mostly good at least. It occurred to me that the single power switch on the iMac would be much easier for her.

I think that overall design is why the iMac is so popular with many people. If your product makes people feel stupid, people aren't going to use it. If your product is design to be easy to use, people will think you're a God. Hence; The Cult of Mac and the worship of Steve Jobs. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating. A little.

The only issue I have with the iMac now is the wireless issue. The iMac doesn't work well with most wireless cards. I haven't been successful with any of the ones I have. It works fine hardwired. Internet boots right up. But it can be a snob with wireless.

But, I'll figure it out. Invictus, remember.

1 comment:

X-Istence said...

Hey, would you mind emailing me your Xorg configuration file you used for this computer?

I have an old Green iMac G3 with Debian on it, and I can't for the life of me get it to run Xorg :(

Thank you!
Bert JW Regeer
xistence@gmail.com