Friday, September 01, 2006

School Update

I'm taking A+Software, and Networking. Maybe a better student could do a full load. Maybe a better student could do a full load, work full time, sleep four hours or less. Maybe a better student could do a full load, work full time, start a boot-strap business, sleep four hours or less, and have a girlfriend. Then again, maybe those overachiever types just have no real life, and only find that out later, after they've wasted it in pursuit of ...what? I bet they don't even have a real girlfriend.

I really enjoy the subject I'm majoring in. Studying doesn't feel like studying. It feels like 'playing on the computer'. Yeah, I'll be able to get a reliable job, or my own reliable company in the future, but really I get to play with 3-D puzzles all day.

I'm not one of those 'better students'. I have learned to overcome some organized education difficulties (I have no problem with organized religion...it's organized education I can't stand). I know that I learn different. I know how I learn, and how to make it work for me. Ideally, I'd do an independent study program. Unfortunately, that's not how things are done. At least, not yet.

I'm not able to sit down, and study for hours. I study in bit and pieces. Usually, no more than 12-20 minutes at a time. Twenty minutes is as long as I can hold. I am able to go into hyperfocus, but only to the exclusion of anything else around. Including meals, and even work. The only thing that breaks my hyperfocus spells in a trip to the bathroom. My hyperfocus spells can last hours, sometimes even days. Most of the Russian I learned actually came from just one weekend, followed by bits and pieces here and there. The problem is; I don't get to choose when to hyperfocus. It's not something I've ever been able to control.

I've decided to cut back on some work, namely work at Sports Authority. I need the time to study, and open time for another client. Two more clients will bring in more than I was making, and reduce my time-load. Basically, this shows me that Personal Training will always be part of my life, my career, and especially my income. I'm glad of that.

No comments: