Saturday, August 05, 2006

Vista vs Linux

I just listen to a Security Now podcast by Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte about Microsoft Vista. I highly suggest listening to it before getting excited about Windows VISTA .

Download the podcast by clicking here, then go back and download all the Security Now Podcasts.

While I appreciate the hard work Microsoft employees put into Vista, it's just not ready, and not going to be read. One thing I didn't know until after I listen to the podcast; WindowsXP is just Windows2000 Professional with eye candy. I recommend waiting at least a year, if not two, before upgrading your Windows machine to Vista. I'd recommend getting a Mac way before I'd recommend getting Windows, but I'd recommend getting a cheap desktop from Wal Mart, erase Windows, and put Linux on, especially Ubuntu Linux. At the very least, set up a dual boot system.

Speaking of dual boot, I set up my stepkids with dual boot machines. I recommend using Windows only for games to them. I futher recommend using XBox for games, and using Windows rarely. Hopefully, they'll post their experiences with dual boot machines here, and you'll get to hear the cheers or jeers for Linux.

In my opinion, Microsoft's not a fault here. Malicious users are (bad hackers). I know a lot of people out there don't like Microsoft's business tatics, and I'd have to agree with that, but they have worked hard for what they've built.

In other news: My dry period (exercise wise) is over, now that my class is complete. I do have another class coming up, but I feel much more prepared for it. Could be wrong, but I plan to keep training through it anyway. I don't have enough money to NOT exercise.

No comments: